Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Home Improvement Projects

Over the past few months, we have been doing a few home improvement projects.  There were certain things that we wanted to get completed before Jacob arrives.  Thankfully, three big projects are now complete!!

First, back in March, we decided that we wanted to add some shelving in our garage.  I can't say enough how much I LOVE having a garage!!! It is so awesome to have a place to store things and it's so nice to not have to worry about starting the car when the weather is cold.  I love that I can pull the car in the garage and I don't have to unload the groceries (or anything for that matter) when it is raining!  I LOVE OUR GARAGE!  But.....we needed more storage space and wanted to get some things up off of the floor.  So, we went to Lowe's one day, bought all of the shelving and brackets and my dad came from Richmond to help Keith put them up.  After a few "hiccups", the shelves were complete (and now they are full of lots of things!).  It is so nice to have a garage that looks organized!  Here is a picture of Keith and Dad showing off their hard work:

The second big project was to replace our over-the-range microwave. Unfortunately, about a month after we moved in (10 months ago!), it broke. Luckily, we had a counter top microwave that we had used in our last house, so we just decided to continue using that one until we could get a replacement for over-the-range.  I certainly thought it was going to be sooner rather than later, but...9 months later......we finally purchased a new one.  Our brother-in-law, Shaun, came over this past Saturday and helped Keith install it.  I am really glad to get the counter space back where the other microwave was sitting. Here is a picture of our newest kitchen appliance:

The third project that we wanted to accomplish before the baby arrives was to install a ceiling fan and light in his room.  Our master bedroom is equipped with a ceiling fan but the two guest bedrooms only have overhead lights, but no fan.  Lucky for us, Shaun has experience installing a ceiling fan in Pierce's room so he was able to come over and install this one for us.  I would say that he "helped" us, but the truth is that he did 90% of the work and Keith and I helped him!! I love how the new fan and light look and I am glad that we were able to get it in before Jacob starts using that room.  Here are pictures of the before and after:


Keith and I are so blessed to have awesome family members who are "home improvement savvy" and who are willing to come over and help us with these projects.  Since Keith and I are fairly new homeowners, we aren't the best at knowing what to do.  We can't thank Shaun & my dad enough for all of their help! 

1 comment:

Katie said...

Everything looks great! I especially love the way the fan looks. You will not ever regret having done that. It will be such a blessing (background noise, air flow) and Jacob will thank you, too! :)
Glad Shaun could help you guys out. It's nice living only 10 minutes apart, huh?!
Love you!