Saturday, March 22, 2008

NFL Pro-Timing Day at UVA

Everyone that knows me knows that I LOVE football. I grew up going to professional football games with my dad in Buffalo, NY. My parents have had season tickets to the Buffalo Bills since the mid-1980s. They even still own them, although they don't attend any of the games - they sell the tickets to a family friend who lives up in the area. I was trying to figure out how many football games I have attended and I believe its somewhere near 100!

Anyways, because of this LOVE of the game of football, it was awesome when I was given the opportunity to work in the Football office at the University of Virginia. Even though at times I get really stressed and the coaches drive me crazy, I still very much look forward to going to work everyday. There is so much that goes on and just to be "in the midst" of come great current and former players is so exciting to me.

One of the interesting things that happens in College Football every March is Pro-Timing Day. This is the day when representatives (called Scouts) come from each NFL team to see players that are eligible to be drafted. The event occurred at UVA this past Tuesday and because Chris Long could be one of the top picks in this year's draft, we had almost every NFL represented. Of course, if you know anything about the way the draft goes, there are only a handful of teams that are going to get a chance at drafting him. But, this high exposure is great for UVA and for the other players that want to "get noticed".

The day starts with all of the Scouts meeting with the Head Coach and getting an overview of the day. Then, all of the eligible players (we had 13 total) worked out in the weight room doing things such as 225 lb benchpressing, vertical leap, broad jump, and a variety of other things. They also have to have their height and weight recorded and have their hand and arm length measured. Then they go outside and run a 40-yd dash and do a variety of individual drills.

A few of my co-workers and I were able to go outside during the drills and watch. Knowing these players first hand and knowing how much time and energy they have put in to prepare for this day, made it even more exciting but very intense. It's incredible to think that next month some of these guys are going to sign contracts with NFL teams and in less than 6 months I will be watching them on TV.

I'm sad to see some of my "favorites" leave but I know that they will all succeed in whatever life has in store for them, whether that is playing in the NFL or not. It's such an interesting process to be involved in and I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to work in that environment.

If you want to read more about the Pro-Timing Day at UVA, click here or watch this video that contains highlights from the day.

1 comment:

LiLi said...

I know I say it, time and time again, I LOVE YOUR JOB!!! I worked in the baseball office of Bluefield College, it doesn't even begin to compare. *sigh* Football is better than all other sports.

Um, did you get my email about Matt's birthday? Can you help me out? Pretty please? It can just be the girls in the office... I'll call you and tell you exactly what I'm after! xoxo Happy Easter!