Monday, August 11, 2008

Our new dining room furniture

I'm very excited that we finally got new dining room furniture. Now, it's not really "new" like brand new, it's actually over 20 years old. But it is new to us and that is all that matters!

I searched and searched and searched for furniture....on-line, in furniture stores, in antique shops (my aunt Karin is an antique expert and she took me to some cool places when we were in Rochester in July). I didn't really have a specific kind of table or chair or hutch in mind (except that we wanted darker wood) so the possibilities were endless! Of course, then Keith decided that he really liked "pressback" chairs (you'll see them in the pictures), so my search was narrowed down to something that included those types of chairs. Aunt Karin warned me that those chairs were: 1. expensive and 2. hard to find. But, thankfully, we found a set on craigslist.com that we really liked and it was a really good price. The problem....the owners live in West Point (which is about 30 minutes east of Richmond and about an hour and 45 minutes from our house in Charlottesville!).

Thankfully, it all worked out. We were able to go see the set when we were in Richmond a few weekends back. We really liked it and the owners were nice enough to let us come back the following weekend to pick it up. Someone that I know from work has a moving truck that we were able to borrow free of charge (only had to pay for gas!) so Keith and his friends Carl and Cindy made the trek to West Point on Sunday, August 3rd while I was at work. They did a tremendous job transporting the table, six chairs and the hutch. They even brought everything in the house and set it up. We are very happy with it and so far, have really enjoyed it being in our house.

Here are some pictures:

This is the table fully extended (with two leaves)
The hutch
These are the "pressback" chairs that Keith likes!
Here is the table and chairs how they are normally in our dining room.

Tonight, I brought our formal china in from the bins in the garage. We hadn't taken them out of the bins since we got them as a wedding present from my Uncle Mike & Aunt Karin. I was so excited to finally get them in the house and get them set up. I am also super excited about using them on Friday night when we have some of my family and some of Keith's family over for dinner. Here are some pictures of the hutch with the china in it:


3 comments:

LiLi said...

It looks gorgeous, and I'm jealous!!! can't wait to see it in person xo

Karen said...

I love it! We can't wait to come visit so we can see it! Hope you are having fun with all Keith's family.

Love you!

LiLi said...

How did the weekend go? How are you? Been thinking of you! xo