Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Home Repair #1

Keith and I successfully made our first home repair this past weekend.  I was going to call a plumber - and probably end up paying an arm and a leg - but instead, we decided to try and make the repair on our own.  YAY to us because not only did we fix the issue, but it only cost us $7.43 for the part at Lowe's.

The problem started about a week ago when Keith noticed that the knob on the master bath was not turning properly. It was not turning far enough to get enough hot water to make a comfortable shower and you had to turn it past the normal "Off" setting in order for the water to shut off.  And, sometimes it would drip, as if there were a leak of some sort.

My dad suggested that we take the knob off and see if maybe it was just a washer issue.  He said that he didn't think it would be a major repair and it would be fairly easy to do.  Keith and I were not very confident since neither of us consider ourselves "handymen".

But....my dad was right and it was very easy to fix.  Keith took the knob apart and removed it and we found that part of the inside of it was broken, thus causing it to not turn correctly. We looked online to see if the Lowe's near our house carried that particular brand of knob and they did.  So, on Sunday, while Keith was watching the Steelers game, I ran to Lowe's to get the knob (and a few other things we needed).  When I returned, I put the new knob on and it worked! Woohoo!

Of course, I hope that we don't have a lot of home repairs and I realize that not every one is going to be as easy - or cheap - as this one.  But, right now, I am just enjoying the fact that Keith and I were successful this time! 

No comments: