Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Physical Therapy

So, I am a little late on this post, but I thought I would report back regarding my PT appt. from last week. I went to the Physical Therapist last Wednesday afternoon and it was interesting and very informative.

I met with a female therapist who specializes in women's health and who also works a lot with pregnant women. She talked to me a bit about what was going on, what I was feeling, how often it was happening, what kind of situations it was happening in (ie, sitting, standing, laying down). Then she had me take off my shoes and stand facing away from her. She looked at my hips and my back and determined that my hips are a bit uneven. I think she said the left one was back further than the right one is.

What does this mean? Well, it means that the nerves that run down from my back, through my hip area and into my legs could be getting "pinched" when I am standing in a certain way. She was surprised that I was not getting any numbness when I am sitting because that often happens in cases like mine. Fortunately, that is not happening and I am only having the numbness feeling when I am standing, especially for long periods .

To help my hip problem, she did some stretching and pulling of my legs to see if she could help "align" them. She also gave me a sheet of four different stretches that she would like me to do twice a day (once before I get out of bed and once before I go to sleep) in order to get my hips back in alignment. She said that there is no guarantee that this will work, but she wanted to start with this.

I have to go back in two weeks and she will see if any of the things that I am doing has helped. I must admit that I have not been 100% faithful with doing the stretches twice a day everyday. Sometimes I am running late in the morning and I don't feel like I have time to do them. Other times, I have fallen asleep watching TV and I forget to do them at night.

Hopefully what I am doing is helping and I won't have to endure this strange numbness anymore. The therapist said that if the sensation doesn't go away by the next appointment, she may have to do some deep tissue massage in that area. Now....not that I am saying that I hope it doesn't go away, but hey....who can turn down a massage? haha

I will keep the updates coming.....

3 comments:

Karen said...

Great to hear the update. Thanks!

Also, have you considered chiropractic care at all? I thought you used to go to a chiropractor. I know MANY pregnant women that go see them and absolutely swear by their techniques and even their abilities to help alleviate minor pregnancy pains. I totally would have gone during my pregnancy if my insurance had covered it. :)

Just a thought!
Love you!

PS - How exciting that the little one is only 3 days away from being half way "baked" :) Are you showing yet?

Stacey Gringer said...

Hey Kirsten! I can't believe you are almost half way there! Hopefully it doesn't get much worse for you. Towards the end I had some really bad numbness in my hands from all of the swelling. I just hope it doesn't get worse for you. Especially with work and stuff! I hope you are doing well. We are thinking of you guys!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. I've been wondering what happened at PT. Hope it just gets better & better.
Love,aunt Sharon