Friday, February 20, 2009

22 Weeks Pregnant!!

Today I am 22 weeks and 1 day prego!  I can't believe how fast time is going by. I have been told that the second half of your pregnancy goes by really fast and I am already believing it!!  I don't want it to go by too fast because I want to enjoy it. Also we have a lot to do before Jacob arrives so it can't go by too fast.

This past week was a very exciting week for us since we found out on last Monday that we are having a boy!  As I said before, knowing the gender of the baby just makes it that much more "real" and now we can start planning on having lots of blue around the house. :)

Other than that, here are the happenings of this past week:

I am still having a lot of heartburn no matter what I eat or when.  Sometimes it occurs right after I eat and sometimes it doesn't start until hours after I have eaten.  I have been taking Tums periodically for awhile to help the burning that I feel from the heartburn, but this past week I also bought some Zantac at the suggestion of the doctor.  I don't want to take it all the time, so I have been trying to take it only when the burning is really bad.  I found that it does help, but it hasn't made the heartburn go away completely (which is honestly what I was hoping would happen!)

I went back to the Physical Therapist yesterday and she massaged my upper thigh a bit to loosen the muscle.  She seems to think that loosening the muscle will help the nerves in that area which, in turn, will help the numbness in my leg.  I don't think the numbness has gone away at all, but it hasn't gotten any worse either.  The Therapist is hoping that massage and some stretches in that area will help it. Hopefully as the baby grows and my posture gets worse, it doesn't make it worse.  Only time will tell.

I have been thirsty a lot, but this is not something new.  I try very hard to drink lots of water throughout the day and in the evening.  This, of course, adds to the number of times that I having to use the restroom, but I know that drinking lots of water is what is best for the baby.  I am still only waking up one time every night, usually around 3am, to go to the bathroom. Lots of women have told me that it is going to get worse, so I am trying to be happy that it is only once...for now.

I signed us up for two classes through Martha Jefferson Hospital, where I am going to deliver. One class is "Preparation for Childbirth" and it is a 6-week class.  We will start in April and meet one night a week.  The last class of the six will be a tour of the maternity unit at the hospital and it will better prepare us for delivery there.  The second class is a breastfeeding class that will meet one night in early June. I am really excited about taking these classes because I believe they will both help Keith and me to get ready for what is in store regarding childbirth, breastfeeding, and basic baby care.

Last weekend Keith and I worked both Saturday and Sunday to start to clean out Jacob's room. We started by purging our closets and drawers of clothes that we don't wear or won't wear again. Amazingly, we were able to fill three large garbage bags with clothes for Goodwill and two other bags that we threw in the trash.  Doing this made it possible for us to clean out two dressers that we had in our guest bedroom.  Keith and my dad then moved the now-empty dressers out to the garage so that we could move some furniture (a desk, DVD cabinet, filing cabinet and a small chest) out of Jacob's room and into the guest bedroom.  We still have a lot of "cleaning up" to do in Jacob's room before his furniture goes in there, but we are closer now to being able to really call it a nursery.

One big thing that I have noticed lately is an increase in my appetite.  I have always been a big eater, but starting this past week it seems like I am always hungry!  I especially "crave" salty things like potato chips, popcorn, and crackers.  Thankfully I don't really have a taste for sweet things, although I will eat them if they are available. I also have a taste for carbs like potatoes & pasta. I am trying not to eat too much, but I know that it is going to be hard. I saw this cartoon and thought it was very appropriate:

1 comment:

Mike said...

I am liking the updates. Keep them coming.

Love ya'll.