Monday, February 8, 2010

Our Most Recent Snow

Yes, I titled this "Our Most Recent Snow" because we have had so much of it in the past few weeks. First, we had the two feet back in December right before Christmas. Then, just a week ago (the last weekend in January), we got about 10 inches. That storm caused us to lose power on Sunday for about eight hours. It went off around 10am and came back on just as the house was getting really dark around 6pm. I was just finishing feeding Jacob some dinner and we were going to venture out to get a hot meal when it came back on. It really wasn't bad having the power off since it was during the day and we have the gas fireplace to keep us warm. Keith and I pretty much just lounged around and read. It was actually a pretty peaceful and relaxing day.

This past weekend, the snow started on Friday morning (thankfully UVA cancelled classes and only essential personnel were required at the library, so Keith didn't need to go in). It snowed all day Friday and then turned to ice/freezing rain on Friday night. Keith and I had prepared for the power to go out by gathering candles and flashlights, but of course we were hoping it wouldn't. Unfortuantely, around 9:45pm on Friday night, we lost power. It ended up being off until Saturday morning around 8am. It wasn't too awful bad to be without power since it was nighttime and we slept through most of it. Keith did get up around 4:30am and turn the fireplace on because it had gotten a bit cold in the house (we weren't comfortable going to sleep and leaving the fireplace on but I was really concerned about Jacob getting cold). The power did end up going back off for about 3 hours on Saturday afternoon, but thankfully it came back on before it got too dark (and in time for me to cook dinner!). We felt very blessed to have our power on for most of the weekend! There are still people in our neighborhood who haven't gotten it back yet!

Keith did such a great job clearing the driveway twice during this storm. He cleared it on Friday evening after we had gotten about 7 inches of snow. Then, on Saturday afternoon, after the ice (and more snow!) came, he shoveled again. I was inside watching Jacob on Friday, but on Saturday, after Jake was in his crib, I decided to venture out and "help". As you can see from this video that I took, there wasn't much left to do by the time I got out there. I'm sorry that the video quality isn't great - I put my flipcamera in a small baggie so that it wouldn't get wet from the snow. This made the picture kinda blurry and not as bright. At least you can get an idea of what it looked like around here. As you can tell from my awful commentary, I thought it was really crazy!



Yesterday, the sun came out and it was actually quite pretty with the sun shining through the icy trees.

After he got up from his morning nap, we took Jacob outside for a short time so he could play in the snow. He has only seen snow up close one time before (after the December snow storm) so of course, he didn't know what to make of it all. Here is a snippet of some of the time we were outside.


Much to my dismay, the weathermen are forecasting 4-6 inches of MORE snow for us to come tomorrow. Yuck! I am so tired of this snow and cold weather. How many more months til Summer???

No comments: