Thursday, May 24, 2012

27 Week Update

I had a pre-natal appointment today that was, thankfully, very uneventful. I was up 4 lbs for a total of 11 lbs so far. I have read that at this point I should be gaining a pound a week so I guess that is right on track. The doctor didn't mention anything about it, so I guess I shouldn't be concerned either.

I met with Dr. Montgomery today. He is actually the doctor who was on-call the weekend I had Jacob and I have such good memories of him from that time. Today's meeting was a confirmation of that good feeling because he was super nice and very talkative. We didn't really have that much to talk about, but we talked a little about my desire to try a VBAC. The discussion started when I told him that I felt like I was carrying this baby super high again, similar to how it was with Jacob. I have noticed that I am starting to get uncomfortable under my breasts after wearing an underwire bra because it is getting tight up in that area, especially towards the end of the day. I had that problem in my pregnancy with Jacob and I ended up having to wear a bra that had no wire (which is not very supportive for a big-breasted woman like me!). I am not to that point just yet, but I fear that it is coming soon!

Dr. Montgomery said that when he measured me, I was measuring a bit larger than I should be. He didn't give me the exact measurement, but he said that it was nothing to be alarmed about right now. He said we would just keep monitoring the growth and see what happens in the coming weeks. He asked how big Jacob was when he was born and when I told him that he was 7 lbs, 4 oz at 37 weeks, he said that he probably would have been close to 9 lbs if he had come closer to my due date. He said, "Maybe you just grow big babies" and thus led to the discussion of a VBAC and trying to push out a "big baby". Oh joy! I guess we shall see in the next few months how things pan out.

While I was at the appointment today, I was able to also drink the "yummy" sugary drink for my glucose test. I arrived at the office about 15 mins early in the hopes that I could drink the stuff while I was waiting in the reception area (to cut down on the time I had to wait afterwards), but upon checking in, the receptionist told me I had to get the drink from the nurse. Of course, as fate would have it, they were about 15 mins late calling me back, but thankfully Jacob was really good in the waiting room - playing with the toys there, eating a snack and reciting his ABCs & telling me stories super loud for all those around us to hear! :)

Once we got back to the exam room, I was able to drink the glucose drink after the nurse did my weight, blood pressure and I gave a urine sample. The drink was cold and orange flavored so it wasn't "that" bad, all things considered. After my 10 mins or so with the doctor, we still have 40 mins to wait until I could get my blood drawn. So, I made my next appointment, then we slowly made our way down the hall to the elevator, took a detour to go look at a bunny statue that Jacob really likes that is in a patio area outside the office building, got into the car, and headed across the street to the lab. Once we got to that building, I made a stop in the restroom to pee, stopped to look at two other statues that Jacob wanted to admire, and then went to the lab to register and wait. Again, Jacob was really good, even though we had to wait about 15 mins until they called us back. He was happy to sit and play with the iPad - putting puzzles together, reading books, and watching videos (old episodes of Tom and Jerry on Youtube are his favorite right now!).

It took two sticks for the lab tech to get blood from me - she had no luck with a stick in my left arm and then opted to go for a nice big vein in my right hand. I was assuming I was going to have a big bruise on my left arm from where she was moving the needle around so much to try to get into the vein, but actually there isn't even anything there. My hand is a little tender to the touch, but nothing too awful. Now, I just have to wait until (hopefully!) tomorrow to find out the results. They will call me if I fail the test, but Dr. Montgomery said I could also call tomorrow afternoon to check, since they don't normally call if everything is OK. I am praying that I don't have to go back and do the three hour test, mostly because it takes so long and I will have to find someone to watch Jacob. Oh, and the possibility that I could have Gestational Diabetes isn't pleasant to think about either!!

Some other random thoughts:

  • I am still experiencing heartburn, but not nearly as bad since I have started taking Zantac twice a day now (once first thing in the morning and then again around 5pm). I have woken up a few times recently in the middle of the night with a burning feeling, but it hasn't been too awful...yet. I fear that it is going to get worse, just like with my last pregnancy.
  • This baby continues to move around a lot and is most mobile in the evenings and at night. It is nice to feel him moving around, but sometimes - especially when I am trying to sleep - it can be a little bothersome. I am really trying to enjoy it though - like a lot things with this pregnancy - since this will most likely be the last time I experience this.
  • I am always amazed at how much my already huge breasts grow (sorry for the TMI!). I just think....really, can they get any bigger???!!!
  • I have not experienced any swelling yet, but I am having a lot of numbness in my hands. This happens, especially with my right hand, at night while I am sleeping. Almost every night, when I wake up to pee, I have to shake my hand around to try to get feeling back in it! I also have some discomfort in my right wrist, which I attribute to carpel tunnel from working on the computer so much. I am going to start wearing a brace at night to see if that helps (it didn't last time) and may wear a brace when I am working on the computer during the day if it gets much worse. Dr. Montgomery mentioned PT as a possibility if it gets really bad, but I don't think I will do that. I did PT with my last pregnancy and it never really helped.
  • It is getting harder for me to bend over and move around, although I know it is going to get worse. I have a hard time getting up from sitting on the floor with Jacob or even sometimes just getting off the couch. I feel like I am much bigger this time around. Or just growing faster. I guess it is because it is my second pregnancy. And, I am doing much more bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching, lifting, etc this time around playing with - and chasing after - a toddler and keeping up with the normal everyday house-related activities (cleaning, laundry, washing dishes, etc).
  • This poor little guy still doesn't have a name, although Keith has pretty much said that I can pick the name this time since he got to choose Jacob (with my blessing). Of course, he has some say in it, but we have thrown a few things around and he is fine with my choices. The problem I am having is that one week I think I love something and the next week, I don't like it anymore. I know we have three more months to decide on this, but it just seems weird since Jacob had a name at 20 weeks! I would honestly like to start calling him something other than "the baby" or "he", but I just can't decide on anything permanent!
  • We have still not made much headway in preparing for this little guy's arrival into our home. I am trying not to stress about it - or the fact that we have every Saturday booked between now and the end of July!! Keith did spray paint the toddler bed that we got free for Jacob (from a Lightening McQueen red to black) this past weekend and we are just giving it time to permanently dry. We have purchased bins to start packing up the toys that Jacob doesn't play with anymore, but I haven't gotten around to actually removing anything! We have talked about our plan to get the room rearranged from a playroom to a bedroom, but just have to take the time to start doing things. It will all get done in will all get done in will all get done in time!! (I will keep telling myself that!)
  • Not baby related, but a totally "oh my gosh where is the time going" thought.....Jacob will be three years old in two weeks!!! I am preparing for two birthday parties (one with family on June 9th and one with his friends at a local spray park on June 22nd) along with everything else that is going on. I have been meaning to do a post about our biggest little guy and what he has been doing, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe soon!
My next appointment with the OB is on June 20th. That will be my last monthly visit and then I will start going every two weeks. Wow....time if surely flying by!

No comments: