Sunday, July 26, 2009

Locked Out

This past Wednesday I did the stupidest thing ever...I locked myself out of the house! The story goes like this:

I was heading over to my sister Katie's house in the morning to hang out with her and Pierce. I was supposed to be there around 10am, but got a late start and didn't end up heading out of the house until a few minutes before 11am. I gathered everything together that I needed to take with me - the diaper bag, the boppy pillow, my purse, and Jacob. I checked my purse to make sure I had my cell phone and I walked out the door into the garage. I locked the door and pulled it shut behind me. I put everything in the car and got in the driver seat. It was at that moment, when I went to put the key in the ignition, that I realized I hadn't gotten them off of the key rack where they are kept. My first inclination was to cry and my second was to go around to all of the doors & windows to see if any of them were open (which they weren't). Next, I called Katie (because, thankfully, she has a key to my house!).

When I called Katie crying and told her that I had locked myself out of the house, her first question was "Is Jacob inside?" Thankfully, I had him out in the car with me. I would have certainly been freaking out if I had locked him inside the house with me on the outside! Katie said that she and Pierce would get in the car and come rescue me. I said I would be there waiting (like I had anything else to do!)

Since it was really hot in the garage, I decided to take Jacob and sit on the front porch while we waited. Unfortunately, that day there wasn't much of a breeze so it was still very warm on the porch. Jacob needed to eat soon so I figured I could feed him while I was waiting (again, not much else to do!) I got the boppy out of the car and started to breastfeed him on the front porch. Since our house is pretty far back from the road and it is mostly covered by trees in the front, I figured no one would be able to see what I was doing. That is, until the mail lady pulled her mail truck into the driveway about two minutes after I started!! I quickly stopped what I was doing and pulled my shirt down so I wasn't exposed anymore (luckily Jacob didn't fuss at all!) The mail lady came walking up to the front porch with a package and the rest of our mail. I quickly told her that I had locked myself out of the house (in case she saw me breastfeeding before she got out of the truck). I didn't want her to think I was some weirdo who likes to breastfeed her baby on the front porch! She gave me the package, commented on how cute Jacob was and talked for a few minutes. When she left, I noticed that I had a huge spot on my shirt from where I had leaked since I had stopped litteraly mid-stream! Ugh!

Once Katie & Pierce arrived and I was able to get back in the house, I had to change my shirt, wipe all the sweat off of my face, and fix my hair before I could go to Katie's house. We didn't end up getting back to her house until 12:30pm and I had to leave at 2pm to get to an appointment. So much for spending a lot of time together!

No comments: