Monday, August 31, 2009

Jacob's newest talents

Recently Jacob has started doing some really cool things (in my opinion). Of course, these are basic things that all babies do, but when it is my baby doing it, it seems so much more awesome!

I am in the process of trying to figure out how to upload video from our video camera, but in the meantime, still pictures will have to do.

Mini Push-ups
Normally, Jacob really enjoys tummy time. He has gotten really good control of his head and neck and he has started really pushing himself up so that he can look around. He does get tired and frustrated after a few minutes, but it is so fun to watch him get stronger and stronger every day.

Rolling
About two weeks ago, Jacob started rolling onto his side. He doesn't have a preference regarding what side he rolls to, but often when I put him in the crib, he moves to his side instead of his back. I believe that he is going to be rolling all the way over very soon. And, if I had to guess, I think he will go from his back to his tummy first. We'll have to see...

Leg Movement
Jacob is surely a mover! He loves to move around while he is on his back and he bends his knees and kicks up his feet. His legs are really strong too (as I have witnessed while trying to change his diaper or get him dressed!). His favorite toy is the Kick & Play bouncy seat that Aunt Katie let us borrow.


He loves to watch the flashing lights, kick his feet and move to the music. He smiles and laughs as he does this and it is so adorable. I have some really cute video of it, but like I said previously, I have to figure out how to get it from the camera to a format that I can upload to the blog.

Sucking his Thumb

Just a few days ago, I realized that instead of simply sucking on his hand, Jacob had actually figured out how to suck his thumb. Of course, since he has loved the pacifier (much to my dismay!), I figured he was surely going to be a thumb sucker once he figured out how to do it. I must say, even though it can be a very hard habit to break (and I am sure I won't be saying this when he is 5 years old and still doing it or when we have astronomical dental bills), it is the cutest thing to watch him do it!

He usually only starts doing it when he is either hungry or tired (more often the latter). Often if he is sitting in the swing or in the bouncy seat and he starts to get tired, the thumb sucking is the first indication that he needs to go to sleep. Also, he has started refusing the pacifier (or spitting it out fairly quickly) when he is in the crib. I guess his thumb tastes better!

Sometimes he curls his fingers around his nose while he is sucking his thumb.

Other times he does a sort-of wave with his fingers straight up.
Either way, I think it is too cute!
It is hard to believe that Jacob will be 3 months old next week! He is growing up so fast and it is awesome to watch his development. I love seeing the new things that he can do everyday. His personality is starting to come out too and I can now distinguish between his cries. He is doing really well with sleep training (which is going to be a whole new post) and I am glad that he seems to be a well-rested, happy child.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Too cute! And you're absolutely right: every kid in the world can be doing the same thing, but when it's your own kid doing it, it's that much more amazing! :-) So glad to hear, and see, that Jacob is doing so well! God bless!

LiLi said...

He's too precious and growing up too fast! I need to come see him!