Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Three Months Old

In honor of Jacob turning three months old, I decided to write him a letter. I "stole" this idea from another blog that I read. Here goes....

Dear Jacob,

This week you turned 3 months old and it is amazing to me how fast the time has gone. I do believe that these last three months have been some of the best of my life. I love spending every day with you and I do not like leaving you, even for a short time. Thankfully I haven't had to spend more than a few hours away from you, usually leaving you with Daddy. I even miss you when you are sleeping at night and I love that you awake these days with a huge smile on your face.

Speaking of sleeping at night, you have certainly mastered the art of this. You have actually been "sleeping through the night" for about a month now, but recently you have started sleeping 10-12 hours without waking for your early morning feeding. This, of course, makes me very happy since more sleep for you equals more sleep for me!

You are also starting to get on a regular nap schedule. I have been working on having you take regular naps in your crib using the Babywise philosphy and this week you have started sleeping for two hour stretches. I am sure that this trend will continue as you will often fall asleep right away without any fussing when I put you down for a nap.

And, I do believe that the more sleep you get, the happier you are, and these days you are really happy! Whether you are in your bouncy seat, playing on the activity mat, or simply laying on the floor, you always seem to have a smile on your face. And, sometimes, the cutest little squeals of laughter come out of your mouth which, of course, I think is the cutest thing.


You are also growing bigger and stronger every day. You are still on a three-hour feeding schedule during the day, although that varies at times if you seem hungry earlier or if you are sleeping when you are suppposed to be eating. I am not a stickler when it comes to you nursing - I figure you will eat when you are hungry!

We still have you on the Zantac for your reflux and that seems to be helping. You do not seem to be in as much pain these days after you eat and I am very thankful for that. You do, however, still have a bad issue with spitting-up and lately it has gotten more plentiful and forceful. We are going through a burp cloth (or more) a day and you and I can both often be seen with regurgitated milk on some part of our clothing throughout the day. Although at times it grosses me out, I am very happy that it doesn't seem to bother you.

I love seeing the physical things that you can now do that you couldn't do just a few weeks ago. This week I have started sitting you up on the couch and you seem to really enjoy the view.

You aren't able to really sit on your own yet, but you do hold your head up really well as you take in the sights and sounds around you. You especially like looking at the ceiling fan, the computer and the TV in the living room. And these days you are able to focus better on me, often looking me straight in the eyes and giving me a big grin, which of course, makes my heart melt. I have tried to get you to grab for a toy, but you haven't figured that one out yet.

One thing you have figured out is how to move, move, move!! Like I said in this post, you are constantly moving! We are so proud that you have now learned how to roll over from your back to your tummy. I was so excited on Monday when you did it for the first time. Since then, you have done it half a dozen times but I am still trying to get a good shot of it on video! Also, Daddy hasn't seen it live, but Aunt Katie & Mimi got to see you do it two or three times today!

You also move all around your crib when you are sleeping at night. It isn't unusual for me to go in to check on you before I go to bed and for me to find that you have turned yourself around 180 degrees! We still have the crib propped up, but obviously you sleep fine with your head at the other end, so maybe we will be removing that prop soon.


You also rolled over onto your tummy while in your crib last night. I heard you whimpering about 20 minutes after I put you to bed and when I went in to check, you were "stuck" on your tummy. I am sure once you get 100% proficient in this rolling thing, you will be a tummy sleeper just like your mommy!

You have also "found your voice" recently. Sometimes you jibber-jabber to yourself but often you "talk" to me. A lot of this occurs after you have finished nursing and those are some of my most favorite times. I have no idea what you are saying, but I enjoy our conversations immensely. I am pretty sure you get your love of talking from me and will be quite the talker once you can actually speak words and sentences. I can't wait to hear what you have to say, Jake!!

And, last but not least, you certainly love your Daddy! You are really happy when he gets you out of bed in the morning if he is still home when you wake up. And, when he gets home in the evenings, you give him the biggest smile and sometimes squeal with delight. You and he often spend time together as he gets you ready for bed and I know that those are really special times.

Jacob, I have a hard time remembering what life was like before you came along. And, now, I can't imagine my life without you. It makes me sad to think that someday you will grow up and not be with me everyday. I cherish the times that we have now and I am so very blessed to have you as my son. I love you more than you will ever know!

Love, Mommy

3 comments:

Kristen said...

What an amazing little guy you have! It's so much fun to watch them grow and figure out how to do all sorts of different things. And I know it's probably really hard to see Jacob dealing with spit-up issues, but this too shall pass. Abby had a really rough time with spitting up; at times, it was almost as forceful as projectile vomit. :-( I remember Karen telling me not to worry, and she was absolutely right! As Jacob's little system develops more, he'll outgrow the reflux and the spitting up. God bless!

Julie Collins said...

Aw, so sweet! Jacob sure is cute and he's lucky to have you as his mom. :)

LiLi said...

I'm a freaking emotional wreck...and then I read this! What are you trying to do to me??? You are such an amazing mom! :) I always knew you would be. And isn't it crazy how weird nursing is until you have your own baby and actually do it and see them growing and thriving and bonding??? Jacob is GORGEOUS. I miss him and you so much! love you!