Thursday, July 17, 2008

All Moved In....for the most part

We are all moved in to the new house, for the most part. We had a crazy move-in weekend but we got it all done. This post is about 10 days late, but better late than never, I guess....

At 8:45am on Thursday July 3rd, the moving van pulled up to the townhouse and two movers got out. They surveyed all of the stuff that we had to see how best to load it into the truck and then they began to start moving things out. It amazed both Keith and me as to how much weight these guys could carry. The two of them moved all of our HEAVY bedroom furniture - including our big dresser, with the drawers full of clothes! They were definitely sweating and working hard, but they also took time to chat and were very pleasant.

About 11:30am, they were not quite done, but I had to head to the new place to wait for the "cable guy". As I am sure everyone has experienced, the company said that their installation man will be to the house between noon and 5. Of course I knew if I wasn't there at noon, he would for sure be sitting in the driveway waiting for me. As it turned out (since I was there at noon), he didn't get there until about 2pm. This was just about the same time as the phone guy appeared too so we had a sea of people running around the house, between these two guys and the two movers! It was a little bit crazy and exhausting for Keith and me even though we weren't really moving anything heavy. I can't imagine if we actually had to move and carry all that stuff! It was a hot day!

Once everyone had finished (around 5:30pm), we headed over to my sister Katie's house. She had graciously offered to have us over for dinner that night since we certainly weren't going to have any kitchen stuff unpacked. It was also a nice break from the moving process and we got to relax a little bit. Upon our return to the house at about 8pm, we did the very least bit necessary to be able to spend the night (set up and make the bed & get our bathroom stuff out). Then we did a few other odds and ends and crashed!

Friday was a LONG day filled with lots of unpacking! After we got through all of our hanging clothes and the big suitcase filled with my shoes, Keith started unpacking all of his books and I started to tackle the kitchen! We stopped around 7pm so that we could get cleaned up and go watch fireworks with Katie, Shaun and Pierce. It was Pierce's first fireworks show but I think he was too tired to even care about them (he usually goes to bed around 8pm and the fireworks didn't start until 10pm)! He didn't fall asleep but he was definitely in a daze and probably sleeping with his eyes open!

Saturday was another LONG day of unpacking - more kitchen unpacking, getting the guest bedroom & office set up, along with both bathrooms. We also spent some time late Saturday night (we were up until 2AM) trying to get some pictures up on the wall and get things straightened up. We knew that we were having visitors to our house on Sunday (my parents, my grandparents and Mike & Blakely) and I was determined to have some stuff up on the walls before they came!

By Sunday, we were pretty much exhausted and spent most of the day visiting with my family at Katie & Shaun's house. We had a great time and it was a good break from unpacking!

Once Monday arrived, it was back to work for both of us. Between then and now, we have made two trips to Lowe's and one to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get supplies and necessities for the house. I think Keith would agree with me that it has been a really positive experience so far, albeit an expensive one!! He was able to mow and trim the grass last Friday night and I did some weeding outside. We have a long way to go with the grass and landscaping issues, but the big things are all done - thank goodness!!

It does seem like time is flying by! I can't believe we have been in the house two weeks today! Here are some pictures from our adventure:

Packing up in the old kitchen/breakfast nook
The old living room packed up....I definitely don't miss that green rug!!
The old guest room all packed up. This was our staging area for lots of things!
The old book room/office all packed up! I didn't think we had *that* much stuff, until we had to start packing it up!
This is the kitchen in the new house. This picture was taken right after the movers left. So many boxes!!!
Our bedroom in the new house, before anything is unpacked!
The office was the room that the movers put all off Keith's books. I think he said it was 30-something boxes!!!
The guest bedroom in the new house.
More of the guest bedroom, before anything is set up.

No comments: