Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Home Ownership

So far, Keith and I are really enjoying home ownership. One of my favorite things about our house is the garage. I love coming home and pulling my car into the garage. I know it's something that a lot of people have, but for me, it's something new and exciting! I don't think it will ever get old!

Unfortunately, not everything has been that enjoyable. We have had a few small issues with our house so far:

1. Our water pressure is a bit on the low side. It's not so bad that we notice it when we shower, but I definitely notice it when using the kitchen faucet and the washing machine. Keith and I have both been down in the crawl space and we found the shut-off valve for the water. Our hope was that it was not turned on all the way and that is the reason for the poor pressure. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case as it was on as far as it goes and thus it is probably not an easy fix. Anyone have suggestions??!! There are some guys that work in our facilities department at work that are certified plumbers - I am going to ask them if they have any ideas. The next step is probably for us to have a plumber come to the house.

2. A week after we moved in, our over-the-range microwave broke! Bummer! I used it on Sunday night to pop some popcorn and it worked fine. The next night, I stuck some leftover corn in it to heat up for dinner, and when the timer went off to say it was done heating, I opened the door to find cold corn and a funny smell like burning electrical wire. Hmmm....what could it be? Well, I did what most people would do and I went to Google. I typed in "burning smell and no heat in microwave". I found numerous other people who had similar problems. The solution? Buy a new microwave.

3. Last Wednesday morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, I did something that I do every morning before I leave the house - I open all of the blinds in the house. I think Keith would prefer that they stay closed because (in his own words)..."People can see in". But, I like that they are open - they allow light to come in and its nice to have them open when we get home from work, especially now when it is staying light so late. Anyways, this particular morning, Keith was gone out of town and I was turning the rod that opens our master bedroom window blinds when all of a sudden the string that holds the blinds up broke!! Needless to say, it was not a pretty sight with the blinds all falling down in front of me. Crap! I just left them and headed in to work. Last night Keith and I went to Lowe's and bought new blinds. Tonight we installed them. (We are becoming regulars at Lowe's!!)

So, in a nutshell......
  • New blinds from Lowe's....$40
  • Service call fee for a plumber to come look at our water pressure.....$75
  • New over-the-range microwave.....$200

HOME OWNERSHIP....Priceless!!!

No comments: