Monday, July 28, 2008

Nostalgia

Keith and I spent part of this past weekend in Richmond, our old hometown. Even though neither one of us actually grew up there, we both spent 10 years of our adult life there and have many fond memories. As we drove through downtown & through Shockoe Bottom on Friday evening, lots of fond memories flooded my mind - working at the hospital downtown and getting lunch from the street vendors, lots of fun dancing nights at "Have a Nice Day Cafe", seeing Jordan Knight (of NKOTB) at the Canal Club, going to RichBrau to play pool, and "The Pub Crawl" for Dee's 30th birthday!! The same thing happened on Saturday when we drove down Broad Street in the West End - I had thoughts about lots of different people that came in and went out of my life while I lived there. I still stay in touch with many, although there are a few that I wonder where they are and what path their lives took them.

I can't speak for Keith, but for me, even though I really enjoy our life in C'ville, I often wish that we still lived in the Richmond area. Yes, we are only 45 minutes from Short Pump, but realistically we just don't get back as often as I wish we could. And then there are things like my parents, our St. Martin's church family, our favorite restaurants and fun things we used to do there together.....all things that I miss immensely!! It is hard moving to a new town. We have both made a few friends here during our last 16 months, but we both left numerous friends behind and that is the hardest part! Life just seems to continue on and the months fly by and the next thing I know, I haven't seen some people in over a year!

Thankfully we were able to see a few old friends from UR while we were "home" and we also spent time with my parents and my sister Karen and niece Sierra (who were visiting from VA Beach). We also made a lunch stop on Saturday at one of our favorite places - Famous Dave's. They really need to get one in C'ville!!

All in all, we had a great weekend and it was really nice to be back in Richmond. (We even purchased a new dining room suite, which I will post about in a week when we finally have it in our house).

1 comment:

LiLi said...

I love you, Kirsten, and we miss YOU greatly! I even picked up a little something for you and Keith while we were at the beach last week. I can't wait to give it to you!!! I hate that we hardly see you guys. You are absolutely one of my favorite people to be around. You make me laugh so much and you make my heart smile with how caring you are... I'm glad you don't live far, but I selfishly still wish you were close enough to come over on Wednesday nights to watch tv and eat pizza like the good old days. (((hugs))) Love ya!