Monday, October 5, 2009

Pulling My Hair Out

Ok, I am not really pulling my hair out....it is just falling out! Sometimes in handfuls. Yuck!

Everyone knows the usual pregnancy symptoms and what happens to a woman's body when she is pregnant - weight gain, heartburn, fatigue, breast tenderness, nausea & vomiting, frequent urination, food cravings, and all the other not-so-fun things. But, did you know that when a woman is pregnant her hair is affected? Yes, according to what I have read, due to hormones, a pregnant woman's hair is in a "resting state". This means that fewer hairs fall out when you are pregnant which makes your hair seem thicker and fuller. After delivery, your hormones return to normal levels and your hair returns to its normal cycle. Sometimes the hair that you didn't lose during your pregnancy all falls out at once. I can't say that I actually noticed that it was staying in more when I was pregnant, but boy am I noticing it on the other end now!

For as long as I can remember, I have had thick hair and some has always fallen out when I am washing or brushing my hair. But, these days, washing, blowdrying, brushing or just running my fingers through my hair can cause it to come out. It seems to fall out the most when I am washing and brushing my hair, but sometimes just touching it causes a few loose strands to fall out.

This is all very annoying to me for numerous reasons:

First, I am finding pieces of hair everywhere in my house - on the newly swept & washed kitchen floor, in the kitchen sink, in Jacob's crib and sometimes in his little hand (where he has probably touched my hair and "grabbed" a piece).

Second, I had to buy a drain cover for our bathtub because my hair was going down the drain and causing it to get clogged. Now, I have a "cover" of sorts over the drain and when I am done showering, I have to use a kleenex to grab the gob of hair out of the tub....gross, but I guess it's better than clogging up the drain!

Third, it is very annoying and distracting when stray pieces fall onto my shirt - or worse, down my shirt! Yesterday when I was at church, I knew there was a piece of hair down my shirt between my boobs (sorry if this is TMI) and it was so annoying and uncomfortable. I kept trying to get it out without looking like a complete idiot by sticking my hand down my shirt in the middle of the service! Eventually, I was able to nonchalantly move my hand in just the right way so I was able to get it out. Have you ever had a piece of hair on your face or shoulder or stomach or between your boobs? If not, be glad...because it isn't pleasant!!

And lastly, no matter how often I vacuum the bedroom (where I brush & blowdry my hair), there always seems to be hair! And, the vacuum cleaner is so full of hair, that I have to sometimes "unravel" it from the roller. Again....gross!

Thankfully, from what I have heard, I am at the peak of the falling out stage right now. It seems as though 3-4 months after delivery is when you lose the most hair, and by 6-12 months, it will be back to normal. Thank goodness! I am certainly getting sick and tired of it and thinking about getting pregnant again just so I can keep my hair from falling out. Ok, just kidding!!! It would be easier just to chop it all off. I guess I will settle for neither at this point and just look forward to the days when it decides to "rest" again. I am sure that before long, I really will be pulling my hair out as Jacob gets older.

2 comments:

LiLi said...

I can't believe I never told you about that side effect! Yep after every child I lose a crap ton of hair... it's a good thing I have enough hair for 5 heads of hair!

Jill said...

Yes, That part stinks. Pregnancy- the gift that keeps on giving.