Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rain

Today was a really dreary day in C'ville. It was one of those days where you look out the window and all you want to do is climb in bed and pull the covers over your head. It wasn't too cold which is good (although I am definitely ready for some cooler Fall weather!) but it rained pretty much all day. And, as I sit here typing this, I can hear the rain falling on our back deck now. I think it is supposed to rain tomorrow too.

Rain is one of those things that I don't like very much. There aren't many things in life that I don't like. To be honest, I can only name a few off of the top of my head - mean people, mornings, cashews, humidity, big bugs (namely camelback crickets or spiders), snakes, and rain. I am sure there are more but that's what I can think of right now.

Anyhow, I don't like rain for many reasons. First, the obvious...it gets everything all wet - the grass, the sidewalk, the parking lot, the car, my shoes, my hair, etc. Second, the whole umbrella thing. It's OK if one doesn't have a lot of things to carry, but if you have something like grocery bags, it is sometimes hard to maneuver while trying to hold an umbrella. There is also the issue of getting into the car while trying to close the umbrella (and your car door at the same time) while tossing the soaking wet umbrella into the back seat where it gets everything all wet! My husband often tries to be nice when it is raining by holding the umbrella while we walk under it together. Unfortunately, even if the umbrella is one of those gigantic golf ones, for some reason, one of us ends up getting part of ourselves wet. I guess its just one of those things I'll never understand. Lastly, the thing about rain that really irritates me is that it makes people all of a sudden forget how to drive. When I moved to Virginia 10 years ago I thought that nothing could be worse than southerners driving in the snow....I was wrong!....rain is MUCH worse. I mean, c'mon people....it's just water falling from the sky. It shouldn't make you forget to use your turn signal, forget how to merge, forget to look before you change lanes, forget the speed limit (so you drive 15 miles below it!) or forget that green means GO! Do these people really have valid drivers licenses?!

So, after all of that....today I was actually happy to see the rain. We are in a severe drought and we haven't had measurable rain in God knows how long. It's been so long I can't remember. My flowers are loving this rain too. Just when I thought they were dead, a little rain has helped them perk up. I guess rain can actually be a good thing. Now if someone would just invent a hands-free umbrella that never gets wet, I'd be really happy! :-)

2 comments:

JRob said...

Welcome! i am so ecxited to see you here in the blogging world! :) (I also agree with you about the rain- it was very needed and people are crazy drivers!)

Brian and Karen said...

You wrote just about all of my thoughts for today. This morning I went with B to the Sheriff's office and the drivers were horrible, I complained to him about how VA drivers forget how to drive when little water drops are falling from the sky. Then, he does have one of those big golf umbrellas, but it has two big holes in the top, you should ask him how that is working out for him! :) But then I was talking to mom and dad on their way to the Tech game and told her how our flowers are blooming again and our plants have turned back to green (finally)! The rain is soooo desperately needed, who can complain about it; although, I must agree, it is better to just stay in bed on days like today! :)

Love you!

(Sorry for the long comment!)