Saturday, March 14, 2009

Update...25 weeks & 1 day

I know I say it all the time, but I am going to say it again....Time is flying by!!....and actually I am not really upset by that.  Yes, we have a lot of planning to do before Jacob arrives.  And, yes, I am enjoying sleeping in on the weekends and being able to do things like shop, go out to dinner, meet up with friends, and sit on the couch watching my favorite shows without having a baby to deal with.  But, in all honesty, this week made me realize that I am definitely ready for the next "chapter" in my life to begin.  Part of this feeling came from the fact that I had a busy, somewhat frustrating and non-so-good week at work (that's a whole 'nother story!).  I know that life with a newborn or toddler or growing child will not be easy, especially in the beginning when Keith and I try to adjust to a new lifestyle.  But, I truly believe that my mind and heart are both ready for Jacob to arrive and I am excited to see what the future holds.

This week, Keith and I were able to accomplish two very important tasks related to Jacob's arrival.  We went to Target on Thursday night and finished up our registering,  We are now registered at both BabiesRUs and Target and I think we are both happy with what we have chosen (although we both admit that we have no clue if we picked the right kinds of things!).  A funny story from our trip to Target.....we are standing together in an aisle in the baby section looking at "stuff" and Keith says to me, "We need burp cloths right?" and I say "Yes, but let's just get these cloth diapers over here instead.  I think you can use those for burp cloths."  So, I go to point the scanning gun at the Gerber cloth diapers that are hanging up and he says "Wait, let's choose this kind instead...they say 6-ply and those others don't".  I said, "Well, what is the difference?" and he says "I don't know, but it just sounds better." We both laughed and I scanned the "6-ply cloth diapers".  I guess that is pretty indicative as to how our registering at both stores went.  We picked out some things that we pretty much knew we needed, but there were a few other things that we added just because "it sounded good". haha  I am hoping that we aren't the only first-time parents to do that!!

The other important thing that I am happy to say we did was to finally make a decision on the furniture that will go in Jacob's room.  I was getting frustrated and a bit stressed that we hadn't found a crib & changing table that we (more so, I) was happy with.  We had looked at BabiesRUs, in both C'ville & Richmond, but just couldn't find a set that matched that I liked. Thankfully, on Tuesday night, when I went to JCPenney to exchange some maternity clothes that I had ordered online, I saw a "Rooms Babies Love" catalog and I picked it up.  I thumbed through it when I got home, assuming that I wouldn't find anything I liked since I had already looked on jcp.com, but low-and-behold on page 13 there it was.  A full set called "Hartford by Rockland" that included a crib, changing table, bookcase & dresser (all the pieces that I wanted for his room) that were in the style & color that I was looking for!!  I was so excited and couldn't wait for Keith to get home to show him.  Needless to say, he wasn't as excited as me....mostly because he is a man and most men just don't get that excited about things like furniture.  Also because he saw the price tag associated with these items!! But, he was happy that I found something that I liked and he liked them too!

We are super blessed because my parents have insisted on buying the crib & changing table as a present for us.  I sent the information to my Mom yesterday and last night she called to say that they had both been ordered.  In order to save on shipping (it would cost $150 extra to have them shipped directly to our house!!), they will delivered to the JCPenney store in C'ville and we will go pick them up when they arrive.  My mom said that the website said it should be 4-7 business days so I am hoping they are here in the next week or so.  I guess that means we really have to get moving on cleaning out the rest of the "stuff" from Jacob's room, but I will be happy once the furniture gets in there and it starts looking more and more like a baby's room.

We have decided to forgo getting the dresser and bookcase right now.  I still very much want to get them, but we are going to wait and see if Keith's mom would like to purchase one of them as a gift or if we can save up some more money before we make such a big purchase.  Also, we already have an "older" dresser that used to be in our guest bedroom (that is now in the garage) and Keith thinks it will match the crib & changing table, so he wants to explore the option of using that one instead of buying a new one.  (I like new stuff...and I want them to all match "perfectly"......so I am not too keen on using the old dresser, but I am willing to entertain the idea, for now).

All in all, this was a very productive week.  From a physical standpoint, I am still having awful heartburn that just doesn't seem to want to go away.  I have also had some trouble sleeping lately.  On a positive note, I have felt the baby move more and more.  Since this post is getting pretty long, I will do additional posts about the sleeping issue and the baby's movement in the next few days.  Until then.....I hope everyone is having a great weekend!! 

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hey! Asher's furniture is from JC Penny, and it is GREAT! I hope you are feeling well!

Stacey Gringer said...

Hey there! I'm so glad you found some furniture that you like. I had to laugh at the registering story because Jason and I were the same way. I think that's why we ended up registering for so much stuff. We got a little too excited about things. We still do! I'm glad you can really feel the baby move now. Enjoy it while you can! It's an amazing feeling and kind of sad when it's gone! He'll be here sooner than you know it! Take care!