Friday, June 19, 2009

Blog Makeover & Jacob Update

I am so excited that my blog has finally had a makeover compliments of my awesome sister-in-law Blakely. She is so talented and creative and has a knack for making blogs look pretty. She helped Katie & Karen with their blogs awhile back and I am just now getting around to making mine look nice. Of course, it helps when you have pictures - also taken by Blakely - of a beautiful baby to show off.

And, speaking of beautiful babies....I wanted to post an update about Jacob, albeit a few days late. On Tuesday, we went back to the doctor's office to have a weight check and another blood draw to check his bilirubin level. Even though the doctor had told us that he didn't need to use the light therapy after his level on Sunday was 13.5, she still wanted to see what his level was on Tuesday, which was 13. Even though it didn't go down really far, this was still good news and the doctor was happy with the results.

The great news from the appointment was that Jacob weighed in at 7 lbs, 7 oz! That means he gained 10 oz. between Friday & Tuesday and he has now surpassed his birth weight! Woohoo! I am so glad that he is gaining weight. It is hard for me to judge how much milk he is getting when I am feeding him since, obviously, I can't "measure" how much comes out. I have been worried that he hasn't been getting enough of what he needs, but now that we saw his weight increase so much in just a few days, I am more at ease with it. It's not that he isn't a good eater - he is on a really good 3-hour schedule. I just worry....I guess that is what mother's do, right?!

Now, we don't have to go back to the doctor again until Jacob's one-month checkup. Our appointment is set for July 21st, which will be more like a 6 week checkup, since Dr. Smyth is on vacation the first part of July and we are at the beach the second week of July. I am glad that we don't have to keep going back to the doctor and, of course, very happy that Jacob doesn't need to have his little heels pricked anymore. But, I wish that we could get a weekly weight check, just to see how he is measuring up. (I guess it's that mother worry thing again!) Oh well, we'll just have to wait until July 21st to have the next weigh in. Until then, we pray that he will continue to be healthy and grow just like he has done thus far.

3 comments:

LiLi said...

AWESOME on the weight gain for baby Jacob!!! :D

Kristen said...

Praise God for that healthy, growing boy! So glad to hear that Jacob is doing well, and I hope his mommy and daddy are doing well, too! God bless!

Sissy said...

Kirst,
Glad to hear Jacob and You are doing so great! Why don't you weigh yourself first and then get on the scale with him after and that way you can find out how much he weighs???? Just a thought :)