Saturday, June 6, 2009

Shocking...I am "in labor"!

Well, you are probably as shocked to hear this as I am to say it.....I am "in labor"!!!  Yes, my water broke sometime yesterday (I started feeling a bit of dribble yesterday afternoon but I thought I was just a 9 month pregnant woman with an overactive bladder!).  Last night, it started dribbling more, but I wasn't sure what it was so I went to bed. Since I had more "wetness" in the middle of the night, I decided to call the doctor's ofice at 7:30am this morning. I guess I realized that this was more than just the usual "leaky bladder" last night, but I didn't want to jump the gun or have to come to the hospital in the middle of the night for no reason.  Luckily, the baby is fine and now I am just hanging out in a labor and delivery room.

We arrived here around 10:30am this morning after the doctor told me it was probably a good idea to come in and get checked. Well, since we live 30 minutes from the hospital, I asked him if I could shower first and if we could pack (I was going to do that this weekend!!).  He said that I had time to do all of that and then come in.  So, Keith and I packed our bag, took showers and ate breakfast (although I was feeling kinda nauseous and didn't really feel like eating).  We made sure to put the carrier and the base in the car, not hooked up or anything, but at least we have them.  I feel VERY unprepared for all of this, but I guess it's just the way it is going to be!

Once we got to the hospital, the doctor checked me and said, "Yes, your water has broken.  You are going to have a baby in the next few days." Unfortunately, I was not dilated at all so they have started me on pitocin to see if the could start some contractions (oh goody!) and get me dilating!  I have been on the pitocin drip for about an hour now and I am definitely starting to feel some crampiness and some tightening pretty regularly.  The nurse and doctor both seem to think it's going to be a slow-go today, but hopefully it won't be TOO long.

Keith has gone back home to get some things done around the house (we were hoping to get a lot of house stuff done this weekend - lawn mowing, cleaning, organizing, etc).  Of course, since Jacob has other plans, I am now here...waiting.  Keith is going to just do a few things that really need to be done (like the lawn and cleaning the bathrooms) and then he is going to come back.

I just asked the nurse if I could eat something - since I have heard that once active labor starts they won't let you eat anything.  She said she would get me a sandwich and maybe some soup. She did warn that it might come back up (yuck!) later, but I think I will take my chances, especially if I am going to be here for awhile.

Here is a picture to show you how "great" I look! LOL  I will be sure to update when, or if, I can.  It is both scary and exciting to think that I will soon be having a baby and finally be meeting this little guy!  

4 comments:

Karen said...

Yah! Can't wait to meet our new nephew!!! Love you!!! Get some rest and enjoy these last few moments of him being inside you. :)

Stacey Gringer said...

Yay! Congrats! I am so excited for you guys. Your story sounds eerily similar to mine. We are praying that things will go quickly for you and Jacob will be 100% healthy. We love you guys! :)

The Sinks said...

Will be praying for you and checking in on news soon to come!

Kristen said...

I got a text from Karen yesterday that little Jacob had arrived. Congratulations, mommy!!! :-) I hope your recovery is swift and that you are enjoying your first days with your little miracle! God bless!