Friday, June 26, 2009

Breast is best...

Let me begin by saying that I have always known that breastfeeding is best for babies.  I have read a lot of websites and books that give all of the reasons why a mother should breastfeed her baby and they all make sense to me. I also have two sisters and many friends who are breastfeeding gurus and who could tell you a million reasons why breastfeeding is best.  Still, even after all of that, I was never 100% hooked on the idea! Even when I was pregnant with Jacob, I said that I would "try" breastfeeding but I was not sure that I would actually follow through with it for long.

I am not sure what my exact reasons were for not being 100% sold on the idea, although I knew that breastfeeding was not going to be easy and it was solely going to fall on me, since obviously, I am the one with the breasts (although Jacob did try and "root" towards Keith's nipples when we were in the hospital.....pretty funny to see!) Honestly, I was scared to take on the responsbility and also I felt like it might "tie me down" and not allow me to do things I might want to do - like venture out sometimes without the baby.  Also, I was scared of the pain that it would cause me.  I had heard horror stories from my sisters and friends about very unpleasant side effects of breastfeeding - cracked & sore nipples, bleeding, engorgement, mastitis - none of which sound very fun!

Well, I have to say that now that Jacob is here and I have been doing the breastfeeding thing for almost 3 weeks now, I am really glad that I decided to try it.  I am not saying that it has been easy by any stretch of the imagination.  It does hurt, it does take time and it is hard to do things outside of the house, even when I take him with me.  I have actually nursed him a few times in the car already and it's not the most comfortable situation, for either of us!  

But, the time and closeness that he and I share when he is nursing is priceless! I love when he looks up into my eyes while he is drinking and he just seems so content.  I love when he curls his little hands around one of my fingers and holds on tight like he never wants to let go. I love how I can stroke his cheek or his head and he doesn't mind it.  I love the funny facial expressions that he makes while I am burping him in between sides.  I love the look on his face when he is finished that just says "Aahh....that was so good.  Thanks Mom."  I love that he is getting bigger and stronger and I know that I have had a hand in that.  I just love him so much and can't imagine not providing this for him. I am glad that I chose to start breastfeeding and hope to be able to continue for as long as possible.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so proud of you for giving it a shot!! And to think, it only gets better and better and you will love it even more! It will be faster and easier as you both continue to get the hang of it.
Whenever friends ask how you are doing, I tell them how well nursing is going for you and that you didn't know if you would nurse. I'm so glad that it's been a positive experience for you so far and it's so great for Jacob (and cheap, too!! :)
Love you!

Jen said...

Beautiful post, Kirsten! So glad to hear that things are going well on the nursing front. I've long said that the only reason in the world that I would ever want to be pregnant again is so that I could nurse another baby. It's about the only thing I really truly LOVED about the infant stage! Too bad wet nurses have gone out of fashion... hee hee... just kidding.