Monday, February 11, 2008

Baby, it's cold INSIDE!

So, you think it's cold outside?! Try coming home to a house that is 57 degrees INSIDE!! That is what our thermostat read when I get home around 7pm tonight....it currently reads 59 degrees! Brrrrr!
It's a long story, but let's see if I can make it short (yeah right, if you know me, you know my middle name is "Make a short story long".) Let's see if I can give you the Reader's Digest version. :-)

First, about two weeks ago, when we returned from Las Vegas, I noticed that our heating unit was constantly running - I mean like 24 hours a day. It was doing what it normally did and shut off when the temperature inside the house reached the desired temperature (which in our house is normally 68-70 degrees in the winter). So, I contacted our landlord and he sent me the following email last Thursday: "Kirsten, You called this one! My AC/Heat guy went by today and looked at the unit. He said it is dead and needs to be replaced. That won't happen until next week, unfortunately. Anyhow, in the meantime, your heat is set on Emergency Heat (which means that it will still provide heat, but it will be done through the Emergency Heating Strips). This type of heat is a little pricier than typical heat pump heat, so you may want to keep your thermostat a little lower than normal to avoid higher costs until the new unit is put in. The good news is that we have warmer weather than normal, so that will help. I will update you as I know more."
Note the part about "warmer weather than normal".....well that didn't last very long!!

I sent him another email on Friday asking him if he knew when it was going to be fixed and this was his response: "Kirsten, The unit had to be ordered, so as soon as it comes in, the technician will install it. The estimate is early next week. However, I have no control over that."

Lucky for us, we were out of town (having a great visit with my family in Raleigh) for most of the weekend. But, now that we are at home, it's a bit chilly!!
Thankfully, our landlord is a nice guy so when we got home from our trip on Saturday night, there were two portable heaters waiting for us on our front stoop. He dropped them off for us to use until the heat gets fixed. And, they have sure been a blessing. The past two nights, we have turned on the small heating unit and closed the bedroom door and it has been quite cozy in our bedroom. Unfortunately, we eventually have to leave the bedroom and head to the other parts of the house that are not as comfy.

Please say a prayer that the heating unit comes in and the technician gets it installed SOON! (Thankfully, we are going out of town again starting on Wednesday evening so we just need to make it two more days!)

No comments: