Thursday, February 7, 2008

Snow Tubing

I am a little late in posting these pictures but better late than never, I guess.

Last Saturday, Keith and I - along with some friends - went to the Wintergreen Resort for some snow tubing. Wintergreen is a ski resort that is located about 45 minutes southwest of Charlottesville. Last February, before we moved to Charlottesville, we went to Wintergreen as part of a Wellness event at the University of Richmond. It was during that trip (which was the first time skiing for both of us) that we realized we aren't the skiing type! Snow tubing is definitely more our speed!

We decided a week or so before that we wanted to go on Saturday so we ordered our tickets on-line last Thursday (tickets sell out pretty quickly for the weekends so you need to order them in advance). The cost is $24 per person for two hours of tubing. This equated to about 5 times down the slide. The ride down is less than 30 seconds but after you get to the bottom, there is a conveyor lift - similar to a moving sidewalk but it goes up the hill - that takes you and your tube back to the top and then you have to wait in line to go again. The lines were pretty long but we had fun chatting and watching other people slide down while we waited. The complicated part was for Keith and I to get in two separate lines and be the same number of people back from the front so that we could go at the same time. This meant we had to let some people in front of us at times to make it work. The first time we went down, we were able to link our tubes together and go as a double. That was really fun but then they said only single rides were allowed. You definitely go much faster when you are a single rider! They say on the website that riders can get going up to 30 mph and I believe it! I was wearing a winter hat and I thought one time I was going to lose it because I was going so fast!!! Also, the tube doesn't always face you forward so you are sliding down a huge hill going backwards - that was scary, but lots of fun!!

We are going to try and plan another trip in another few weeks if the weather cooperates and doesn't get too warm too quick. If you are in the area and would like to join us, let me know!

Me and Keith at the bottom of the hill
My co-worker Roxann and her husband Justin
Keith in his tube getting ready to "take the plunge"
This is a view at the top of the hill.
According to the Wintergreen website,
the hill is 10 stories high and over 300 yards long!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I WANT TO GO!!! When I was at JMU I know lots of people that used to go, but I never went. :( I don't think they allow women who are 8 months pregnant, do they? I totally want to go!!! Maybe next year! :)

Love you guys - Can't wait to see you this weekend!

~Karen :)

LiLi said...

WOW it has sure changed since the last time I did it! It was only $8.00 the first season, and we had 2 hours, and the place was DEAD, so we were the ONLY ones riding. I was sick as a dog, but I did it anyway! SO FUN! But it was NO WHERE near as big/long as it is now! WOW! I think I'd be scared to do it now, but I might want to try.