Monday, February 25, 2008

Good News and Bad News

This evening started off to a great start after work when I went to my Weight Watchers meeting. I had been fairly good this past week and really tried to stay on track while in Richmond with family this past weekend. I only ate a small helping of my mom's famous spaghetti on Thursday night, I didn't give-in to temptation for Papa John's pizza or BW3 Chicken Wings on Friday night and I even passed on Cold Stone Creamery (my favorite ice cream!!) on Saturday night. I was sure that I had done well enough to see a significant weight loss on the scale. And, I was right!

I weighed in 3.8 lbs less for a total of 11.4 lbs lost in 6 weeks! WOOHOO!! I am so happy with my progress so far and it nice to see that the hard work (and not splurging) this weekend really paid off!

Well, now the bad news......I was driving home after my WW meeting and I was in a car accident. I was driving along the road that our neighborhood is on (about 1/2 mile from our house!) and this guy in an SUV pulled right out in front of me coming out of a school parking lot. He was turning left and didn't even stop! He was going full speed ahead coming out of the lot and I slammed on my breaks and honked my horn. Luckily I was only going about 35 miles per hour so I didn't hit him super hard. The weird thing was that he didn't really stop even when I hit the side of his car. It was like he stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake! At first, I remember thinking that he was going to drive away. But then, he shot across the two lane road (after I hit the side of his car) and his car ended up in a ditch and hit a fence on the opposite side of the road. I was worried that he was going to be badly hurt because it seemed like he hit the fence pretty hard and he didn't get out of his car right away.

After I realized that I should get my car out of the middle of the road, I pulled over to the side and got out. There were a few people who had been in the parking lot and they came over to see if we were ok. There was also a lady in a car who stopped to see if we needed help. I called 911 and someone else said that they had called also. I wasn't hurt at all, but pretty shook up. I crossed the road to see if the driver was ok and he then got out of the car. He was an African man, probably in his mid to late 40s, who didn't speak English very well. When I asked him why he didn't stop, he said something that I didn't understand. I just stood there on the side of the road and waited for the police to come. He didn't say anything to me other than he asked if I was ok and if my car was ok. He seemed either really shook up or kind of out of it.

Soon, two fire trucks, an ambulance and a police car arrived. They tended to him first but asked me if I was ok, which I said I was. The police officer looked at my car and took all of my information. After a little while of waiting, the officer gave me my license and registration back and gave me a police report number. He said that the man's insurance company would be paying for any damage to my car and that I should contact my insurance company in the morning and then he told me I was free to go.

I realized when I got home that I had had my camera in my car at the time of the accident. I should have taken some pictures of his car in the ditch and of the damage to my car, but I guess I just wasn't thinking. I'll take some pics of my car in the morning, in the daylight, and post them tomorrow. Thankfully there wasn't much damage to my car, other than the front bumper is scraped a bit and the license plate is bent and scratched. Also, I am glad that no one was injured.

It just sucks that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and what was going to be a happy evening turned into kind of a crappy one. I guess it could have been worse....

3 comments:

Blakely said...

Oh my gosh Kirsten... I'm so glad you weren't hurt, and neither was the other driver. I'm so sorry - I know how much that can really shake your nerves. You'll most likely be sore for the next couple days but I hope you feel better quickly...

On a lighter note, I'm excited to hear about your WW meeting, and I had such a great time with you this weekend! Hope to see you again soon!

Love you!

Karen said...

Kirst - I was so excited to hear about your weight loss! I am praying that I find the pounds that you lost! :)

Brian and I were so sorry to hear about the car accident. I am glad it was not a serious accident. The road you live off of seems like it could be dangerous with all the curves and stuff. Thank God no one was hurt! I hope the insurance situation doesn't take too long to get figured out.

Also, thank you so much for the shower this past weekend. Words can't express how much we love you and how thankful we are for you. It was the most wonderful baby shower ever!

Please tell Keith we missed him greatly last weekend. Hope to see you guys soon.

Love you both,
Karen & Brian

LiLi said...

I'm very thankful you were not hurt! And good job on the weight loss, you are doing SO much better than I!!!

I'm sorry about your car. Matt was just recently in an accident as well (the Friday before he left for Thailand)... his car did not fare quite as well as yours did. I'm just so glad that neither of you were hurt!