Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gardening

As long as I can remember, my mom has been an excellent gardener and landscaper. When we lived in our house in NY, she loved to mow the acre of land that we lived on and the gardens in the front of our house were always beautiful. These days, the lawn and gardens at their house in Mechanicsville, VA could truly be featured in a popular magazine like Better Homes & Gardens!

I do believe that I have learned a lot from my wonderful mother over the years. Unfortunately, I do not believe that I inherited her green thumb! I have always had a hard time keeping house plants alive, much less the ones that grow outside. I think the main problem is that I forget to water them and of course, with no water, they die.

I do love the season of Spring and I love the beautiful colored flowers that are around this time of year. And, the townhouse that we are currently renting has two flower beds in the front that could really use some color. So...this past Sunday, I ventured to Lowe's in search of some flowers that were easy to plant and easy to take care of. I didn't want to spend too much money, seeing that we are only renting this place - and we are hoping to be moving into a new house sometime soon.

I ended up getting a few different kinds of plants - marigolds, carnations, wave petunias, and another orange-colored flowering plant that I can't remember the name of. I also got two big bags of mulch in the hopes that it would help the flowerbeds look nicer.

Keith took some pictures of me in the "planting process" and I took some pictures of the finished product. Of course, the flowers are not in bloom yet so they don't look at nice as I am hoping they are going to look once they fully bloom. The one problem is that I thought I had bought a lot of flowers but once I got them in the ground, they really seemed to be spread out. Hopefully they will grow pretty big so that it doesn't look so barren. Hey, at this point if any of them survive I will be happy.




No comments: