Wednesday, April 9, 2008

No baby yet....

We are still awaiting the arrival of Sierra. Karen was seen by the midwife at the birthing center this morning around 9am and unfortunately they were sent back home! :( Karen had an exam and this did some monitoring of her contractions and also of the baby. She was told at that time that she was only 1 cm dialated!! (Which is unbelievable since she has been having contractions for OVER 24 hours and they were around 5-6 minutes apart!)

So....back home they came and she was told to rest. They gave her something to help her sleep and hoped that she could get 4-6 hours of sleep. The ultimate hope is that her body would speed up her contractions, cause her to dialate more and she would "officially" start labor once she got some rest.

Katie, Pierce, Mom and I went to the mall for a little while this morning when Brian and Karen went up to bed. Pierce played in the mall indoor play area, us girls did a little shopping and we ate lunch. We arrived back here to Karen and Brian's house about 30 minutes ago and Brian told us that Karen had woken up about 1:30pm. That means that she got about 3 1/2 hours of very much needed sleep! He said that she was having contractions and they seemed to be getting closer together. Of course, none of us are getting our hopes up because who knows what is going to happen! Only God knows!!!

We will continue to update you as things change or progress. Katie and I are taking it one hour at a time now and aren't quite sure what our plans are for a return trip to C'ville. I am supposed to be back at work tomorrow since I have been out since yesterday. But we really don't want to leave until Sierra is here! We'll see what happens....

4 comments:

Sharon said...

've been gone all day, so I appreciate the text from your Mom and now that I am back home, the update here. I'm continuing to keep ALL of you in my prayers.
Love,Aunt Sharon

Jen said...

Thanks for the update, Kirsten! I keep checking ALL the blogs for info! Lots of prayers and well wishes coming from ATL your way. Pass along my love to Karen.
Jenny

Sharon said...

Above comment was meant for Katie's blog. Glad to hear Karen got a LITTLE sleep. Oh the stories there will be to tell Sierra about her birth and since she is a girl, she will eventually appreciate it! Love to all.
Aunt Sharon

LiLi said...

It seems that Miss Sierra is a bit of a drama queen already! (YOU GO GIRL)... she wants to make sure everyone is primed and ready for her grand appearance... fashionably late, of course! She likes it in that warm place! Once Karen's water breaks... LOOK OUT, she's going to go FAST... that's my prediction! OMG, I'm on pins and needles!!! I can't wait to find out the middle name (if they settled on one)... I can't wait to see how big she is and see how beautiful she is! I'm getting so excited. I'm thankful for Karen's few hours of rest, they will certainly help her in the long run. Can Karen take a nice warm bath and maybe use a breast pump to maybe get some things moving along? The water should help relax her and ease some of the ctx discomfort. Please let her know, Dee Mom and I are all praying for her. This will ALL be worth it the moment her hands touch that sweet baby girl and she hears that first wail or whimper! I hope it isn't long now, for Karen's sake as much as everyone elses!