Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Still Waiting...

It is currently 6:19am and we are still waiting for Baby Sierra to arrive. Karen has been in labor since 4:30 yesterday morning! She has been having contractions now for over 24 hours and she is extremely tired! Katie, Pierce and I left C'ville yesterday around 11am thinking that Sierra would make her entrance into this world in the afternoon or evening. We made a stop in Richmond and then headed to VA Beach around 4pm with my parents. From the time we got here until we all headed to bed around midnight, Karen continued to have contractions that were pretty strong, lasting about one minute and occuring every 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately at times, they were more like 15 minutes apart. It didn't seem like she was really making any progress. She decided to go up to bed and see if she could get some rest.

Around 4:30 this morning, I woke up (I had been waking up every 30 minutes or so) and heard some talking. Brian came out of their bedroom to get Karen something to drink and he said that they had just talked to their midwife. He said Karen has continued to have strong contractions all night and unfortunately they are not getting closer together, but they are getting stronger, more painful, and lasting longer - like 2 minutes. The midwife said that she would like them to come into the birthing center at 8am for a checkup. Hopefully she will get there and they will tell her she is 8 cm dialated and that there is not much longer to go!!! That is her hope!

I will continue to keep you updated. It has been a REALLY long night for Karen and Brian. She hasn't had any real quality sleep for over 24 hours now and she is really exhausted. Please continue to pray that this process will speed up and that everything will go well for Karen and Sierra.

1 comment:

LiLi said...

Oh goodness! Well, it's almost 8 am right now, so I know they are probably at the birthing center! Bless her heart. I know those contractions, I had them with Maegan, and they hurt and they DO make you exhausted and I feel for her. I pray little Sierra makes her way down the birth canal and causes that cervix to open. I've had friends who have never had a regular pattern of ctx and made it to the hospital with only moments to spare! It isn't a rare thing. I wish there was something I could do. I didn't sleep much either, I kept waking and thinking of Karen!!! I wish I was there to hold her hand so she could squeeze the life out of mine during the painfully long ctx. You and Katie are so awesome to be there for her during this time!!! I know she appreciates every one of you! Will Mike and Blakely come up tonight? I hope the end is in sight and that Sierra is here before we know it! ((hugs))

Is Karen planning to come home today after delivery or will she stay in the center over night?

Come on baby Sierra, come out and meet your mommy. Come safely and come soon! This world can't wait to meet you, and Mia would love a new friend!